For information on how to calculate your daily recommended caloric and macro nutrients needs check out my blog post on it.
Sides & Snacks
Drinks & Treats
Food to Buy
- Broth Bowl
- Shrimp and Slaw
- Spaghetti Squash
- Turkey Meat Balls for Spaghetti Squash
- Smoked Salmon, Brown Rice w/ Almond Butter, Broccoli
- Chicken Peach Stir Fry
- Stuffed Peppers
- Fish Lettuce Wraps
- Dill Smoked Salmon/Balsamic Brussel Sprouts
- Homemade Beef Jerky
- Tuna Steak w/ Asparagus/Potatoes
- Steak, grilled artichoke, homemade aioli
- Grilled Chicken Fajitas
- Seared Ahi Tuna & Grilled Zucchini
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Hawaiian Steak
- Berries offer the best option for a leaner body
- Bananas and grapes are best for building muscle but not losing weight, if consumed during a weight loss period, do so post-workout for a carb source
- Cherries are great for anti-inflammatory benefits
- Avocado is one of the best foods to consume regularly for a great source of healthy fats and many other nutrients
- Peppers pack a punch in more than one way. They fight inflammation and aid in preventing and curing ulcers, boost metabolism (spicy peppers), and act as an appetite suppressant and are packed with more vitamin C than citrus fruits.
- If you have fat free pop corn do so in moderation
- Make sure there's no partially hydrogenated oils which is the code for trans fat
- Just be careful not to overdo the oil based dressings
- Even if it's healthy fat, it's easy to overdose
- Pay attention to serving size
- Salsa is the ultimate condiment (provided there's no added sugar), it's loaded with nutrients and usually low calorie
- Instead of chips, get more from your snack or meal by topping cucumber or other veggies with it, or even eggs or chicken
- Always have a bottle of water on hand and sip on regularly throughout the day
- When cooking, use olive oil in place of butter. Olive oil contains healthy monounsaturated and poly unsaturated fats that remove the bad cholesterol from your system.
- Eat 6 meals a day (eating every few hours keeps the metabolism stoked and keeps you full throughout the day). Think of your metabolism as a fire... to keep it going you have to keep throwing a little kindling on it. If you don't eat for several hours or longer, your body goes into conservation mode and slows the metabolism, which means you burn less calories. Also, the longer you wait to eat your next meal, the hungrier you get. The hungrier you get, the more likely you are to binge and eat too much food or start seeking out unhealthy foods or cave into bad cravings.
- Don't be afraid of fat. Just don't overdo it. It unlocks other nutrients (vitamins A, D, E, and K) that are fat soluble. In other words, if you eat a nice salad and skip out on a fat source, your body won't absorb all of the nutrients. Think egg yolks, lean steak, fish, nuts, avocado. Fish oil pills are great, but be careful not to buy a cheap brand. Cheap fish oil pills tend to cause fishy burps all day. Yuck!
- Buy a shaker bottle and bring your protein/post workout shake to the workout along with a fruit for a carb source. It’ll keep you in the routine for proper nutrition post-workout and will help avoid eating something counterproductive right after a workout.
- Alcohol slows your metabolism, meaning you burn less calories. In men, it can increase estrogen stores causing man boob syndrome. What's more, is it piles on more empty calories in a hurry and causes dehydration. If you opt to give into the sauce, be sure to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and minimize the damages. But very few people can drink more than once a week without it hindering their goals.
- Miscellaneous fact: There are 3,500 calories in a pound of fat. This means to lose a pound a week, we need to burn 500 calories more than what we consume for each day. In other words, if I'm trying to lose weight and I consume 2,000 calories a day, I need to burn 2,500 calories a day. On average, most people burn about 2,000 calories a day. Be active daily and get that heart rate up!
- Losing more than 3 pounds a week likely means you're burning muscle instead of fat, which is not good.